Ravello’s software-as-a-service offering enables you to seamlessly use any leading public cloud to develop and test your existing on-premise applications. With Ravello enterprises can easily, without making any changes, create replicas of their on-premise, multi-tier VMware or KVM based applications in any public cloud for development and test. You can create blueprints of multi-tier applications and spin up as many instances as you need for testing, without having to build out massive on-premise test capacity that sits idle most of the time.
Ravello’s unique Cloud Application Hypervisor technology enables an enterprise to completely encapsulate and abstract an entire multi-VM application and its environment so that it can run on any cloud (public or private) without any modifications. Ravello requires no changes to the VMs, the networking or the application itself.
Ravello consists of 3 key technology components:
- HVX - high performance nested hypervisor
- IO Overlay/ software defined network
- Application framework
Once a copy of the application is running in the cloud, the enterprise can create a blueprint of the application. With that:
- Each developer and test engineer can log into Ravello and deploy a replica of the production application in any cloud for development and test
- Connect the enterprise Continuous Integration server (e.g. Jenkins) to Ravello, and every time a developer checks in code, the system automatically spins up a replica of the production application in the cloud (public or private), runs tests, returns the results and shuts down the application.
- Snapshot entire applications and share/collaborate among developer and test engineer team members
- Rapidly prototype new applications based on the enterprises’ specific VMs and application component building blocks.
- Manage the entire application infrastructure as code and version it in the enterprise standard source control.